Mandatory Lab Safety Training
It is important that everyone who enters a laboratory knows and understands certain safety procedures. There are different levels of required training:
- to have access to the McGuire Translational Research Facility (MTRF),
- to work in a laboratory, and
- to work on projects requiring specialized knowledge.
Before commencing work in the lab, all lab personnel must complete:
- Bloodborne Pathogens Annual OSHA Requirement (print a copy of your final quiz to bring along when you get your UCard verified for building access)
- Radiation Safety Orientation (print a copy of your final quiz to bring along when you get your UCard verified for building access)
- Introduction to Research Safety
- Chemical Safety
- Chemical Waste Management
- Lab-specific training from your principal investigator or laboratory supervisor within the first week of work/rotation. This training should be reported by enrolling and indicating completion of "SCI Lab-specific training" in the Training Hub. Annual updates are required for this training and can also be reported in Training Hub.
Principal Investigators will assign additional training as required for projects working with:
Biohazardous material - Biological Safety in the Laboratory
Animals - Animal Use Training
Human samples - Bloodborne Pathogens: Advanced
Radioactive material - Radiation Safety for Radioactive Material Users
Controlled substances - Controlled Substances
Things change! If you find that any of these links are not working, please contact Sue Keirstead.